About this blog

My name is Tina Stowell. A Conservative Peer since Jan 2011 and when not at the Lords I'm an independent strategic communications consultant fascinated by corporate reputation: what defines it; how it's built, ruined and restored; and how it affects relationships. If you would like to know more about me and my business please visit my website: Tina Stowell Associates. In this blog I offer my thoughts and opinions on a wide range of topical issues as they relate to reputation.

Sunday 12 June 2011

"Traditional values in a modern setting"

John Prescott is an unlikely brand and marketing expert, but I find myself often quoting his definition of New Labour (see above) as a way of explaining what all British institutions need to do to survive.
This morning during the newspaper review on Murnaghan there was a discussion about the current popularity of the Royal Family and Gyles Brandreth (another unlikely brand expert until you remember his success with knitted jumpers) said the Royal Family had shown “brand consistency” and therefore enjoyed “brand loyalty”.   Dermot Murnaghan then quipped, (because Sir Stuart Rose ex-Chairman & CEO of M&S was also in the studio reviewing the papers): “just like Marks & Spencer!”
And he was absolutely right.  Indeed it’s precisely because Marks & Spencer and the Royal Family have followed the Prescott and Brandreth approach to brand strategy that they have not just survived but are thriving. 
All other long-established British institutions struggling with modernity need to do exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment